Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Midland, Michigan



We went to Midland, Michigan for Matt and Summer's Open House. What a great time we had with all of our old friends: Dunfords, Sponsellers, Walls, Listers, Workmans, Ostergaards and so many others! We stayed at the Dunfords where we had wonderful company and food. Matt and Summer stayed there too, so it was like a mini slice of heaven to have so many of our favorite people close by for several days. We headed up to Mackinaw Island for a quick roundtrip. It was so beautiful and we wished for more time! We got some fudge and icecream of course. Can anyone say "Moosetracks!?"
mackinaw island

The Grand Hotel - setting for the movie, "Somewhere in Time"



The next morning, we went to the Farmer's Market. One of my favorite things to do. We picked up my favorite orange sour cream cookies, apples, bread and of course, apple cider. As I gave the cider man money, I realized it was an old friend, Bill! When Matt and I left Midland, he and his wife were retiring with their newly acquired apple farm. Obviously, they made it to the Farmers Market...good for them!
Farmer's Market

The Tridge

There were many dogs, one of them snapped at Brandon when he reached out to it...thus the pouty lip.

That afternoon we headed to good ole Sanford Lake (where I learned to waterski years ago) and met some friends there for a picnic and water play. Brandon loved kicking the soccer ball around in the water and he ate a ton of fresh grilled corn.


The evening brought the openhouse for Matt and Summer at the Walls. They had a wonderful set up in their amazing yard. Between them and the Sponsellers...they made it so great. We saw many of our friends - though - I wished for more personal time to sit and chat. Afterwards, we sat around and talked for hours with the Beechers, Walls, Sponsellers and Listers...we didn't get Brandon to bed until midnight. Poor kid...but he held up famously as he wandered and played with a dog most of the night. He also discovered he loves the snack "bugles."
The following morning we headed to church and ran into some more friends. What a warm feeling it was to be there. I miss the people here. I learned so much in Midland...I feel like it was where I really grew up in the gospel and life. Matt was an integral part of that so it was wonderful that both our families could be there. Ryan kept telling me as we traveled home that the people he met were so wonderful and he could see why this was a special place for me. Brandon was an amazing traveler to and from...even with a several hour delay in Detroit, he stayed happy and composed. Once again, he didn't get home and in bed until after midnight.

We forgot to take a picture with everyone, but here is a picture with the Dunford's, Matt and I about 7-8 years ago? Look at how young we look!

Pam Dunford
Barbara Keil

0 comments: